Guy Bourdin Image Maker Somerset House (and others, plus a cheeky OOTD)

So, the other day I was glad I was wrapped up warm in my new jumper from ASOS because it kept me warm on my friend/colleague Frankie and I went on a little adventure. I realised that as it's got colder I've been wearing a lot more black so did a big shop (haul to follow) this is my new favourite jumper. It's so soft whilst also colourful, proof that working in London doesn't need to be dull! 
Jumper - ASOS
Necklace - Forever21
Scrunchie - Urban Outfitters
Lipstick - Topshop



Treggings - Topshop
 Socks - Topshop
Shoes - New Balance
We went looking for inspiration, and we certainly found it! 
Even on the walk, past Trafalgar Square there was a giant blue cockerel on one of the plinths (I didn't manage to take a picture cause we were walking through, but you can find out about it, and the artist Katharina Fritsch here). 


As you're walking you can't ignore it, it's bright blue and sticks out amongst the grey backdrop of London. The reason I liked it so much (besides the clashing colour) was that I found it amusing; here is a relatively simple and homely creature (they remind me of the countryside) that demands your attention over huge lions, and war heroes. The artist says that the double meaning is on purpose, a big cock erected symbolises the rise of feminism, with women being able to use men as a subject for their work... 
but I'm not sure I would go that far.

So we walked past Trafalgar Square, Nelson's Column and his cock, we were following the maps on our phones but I have a terrible sense of direction, so at some point we 
took a wrong turn. 
I'm so glad we did.

We stumbled upon the Contemporary Korean Silversmithing & Jewellery exhibition.
Most things there were beautiful - but too slick, and conventional, so not quite my style.

THAT WAS UNTIL WE FOUND THESE



Hidden away in the back, an artist called Min Yoo had these amazing and unusual pieces of jewellery displayed. She splices together plastic children's toys and adds a bit of bling, the outcome is just incredibly pretty with the right amount of wit. Perfect.


My favourite was torn between these two:



Unfortunately, as far as I can see they are not for sale. Though if anyone knows anything similar, I'd love to get my paws on a piece, I'd love it forever!



After drooling over the pretty things, we tore ourselves away and got back on track to our original location. Eventually we found Somerset House and the Guy Bourdin Image Maker exhibition. It was only £9 to get in (£7 Concessions) and worth the money. 
There was so much to see!



I had to keep reminding myself that these were taken before the days of photoshop, so everything you seen has been perfectly planned. Some of the sketches and notepad's were on display to see and it's amazing when you realise the skill inside what makes a
 photo so eye-catching.


You can see how the annotations affected the end result




He used these mannequin legs, to create a surreal but interesting result. These were photographs for a shoe advertisement, you can see how eliminating the model draws the focus into the product and makes it something you stop and take a second look at:






Not revealing the whole model adds a layer into the pictures, making 
them more interesting:












I also liked this one, because of the idea behind it.
 Taking photos that look like the model is underwater, and then actually submerging the photos in water so it looks like she's stuck in there drowning. It's all very clever and carefully thought out:





 Of all the photos I saw these were my favourite, because of the colours used:

This one spoke to me most, as my outfit of the day was inspired by adding colour into the busy working city.  






Whilst also at somerset house we found this shop called The Unseen Emporium .
Although it is hard to find (the irony is not lost on me) it's well worth it:



Everything in there is inspired by the elements. So there were notebooks, candles, clothes and more that all react to the warmth of your hand, the wind and sunlight. All carefully designed, I only wished I had more money to spend. We both left there completely amazed and gobsmacked (which doesn't very happen very often).



In the end it was a spontaneous outing that I left with thousands of thoughts and ideas whizzing through my head, I especially want to look on EBay for a job lot of plastic children's toys!

Have you been to any galleries recently? Let me know, I'd love to do more things like this!

P.S Happy New Year you lovely lot!

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment