Bitesize Budapest

If you follow me on Instagram or have spoken to me recently,
you'd know I've been yabbering away about my holiday to Budapest!

To get over my holiday blues, I thought I'd share you some bits and pieces of what I got up to, just incase you were thinking of visiting yourself.

To try and make it easier I've split it into a few sections: 

Day Things 
Night Things
Food Things
Thermal Bath Things
Things

I've tried to keep it short cause I could go on for ages,
 if you have any questions please ask!

Day Things


Heroes' Square 
(and surrounding park area)
Taken by Frankie



A short (and amusing) train ride away from the main city is Heroes' square. As you step out of the station there's amazing statues in the middle of some very busy roads (don't be silly, Hungarian drivers are mental... just use the crossings!) 
You could probably spend a whole day, there's quite a lot to do but we just did a few because, let's face it, you can go to the zoo or circus anywhere in the world. There's a beautiful park with ice skating in winter (and something else in summer) and a fricken castle!! 
We went to visit the Museum of fine arts but there was literally a queue outside to queue in another queue that was inside. Mental. So instead we went to a flea market and the transport museum!

A lot of Lego, dolls in bathtubs and guns (not pictured because I was far too scared to!) at the flea market

The transport museum
"Pretend you're ordering a ticket" ♥ "Get angry at her"  Captain Lisa  We're gonna crash!!! 
Frankie up high ♥ I liked the way the light hit the model train  Then this one got involved!!!
Frankie is much more photogenic than me!  Chilling at the "station"

Taking a stroll  
(Breathtaking views, Gellért Hill and beautiful buildings... everywhere)


Big thanks to Frankie for taking these photos as I was too scared to get close to the edge!
Look like you're eating the bridge

I'm quite a gobby person, but Gellért Hill literally left me speechless.
I would highly recommend walking up the front rather than taking the bus. 
I'm not fit at all but there are loads of benches on the way up that you can stop and try to catch your breath (even if the views make it hard!) Walking really gives you a massive feeling of accomplishment, and makes the top that little bit more amazing.

Corvin tér (Corvin Square)

Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited, you could just walk around all day and bump into amazing buildings and cute spaces. For example in Buda we found this lovely area called Corvin Square with super cute
multi-coloured houses and the cutest place to eat (but more on that later) It's best if you find your own places, because it's hard to find the same place again / remember what it's called!

The view from the bridges are amazing day OR night

Castle Hill  
(Steal a tour, walk some caves)



So maybe we shouldn't have, but we ended up running into an english speaking tour guide, we ended up kind of following them around the Castle Hill, it was actually really interesting and the tour added a whole new layer to the hill. If you go I suggest you actually do it properly though!

We also visited the Hospital in the Rock, unfortunately it was no photography, but you can find more details about it here. But basically it's a hospital built into network of caves that has survived two wars (WW2 and Cold) and in the 56 revolution. The best part is you get to use a real life air raid siren!

Night Things



There are bars and places to drink on almost every street. We pre drunk where we were staying (and found out you can't buy drink after 10 unless you go to a special tobacco shop - the dodgy looking ones with 18 signs and shutters down) The best thing, just like everything else, is to really explore and see where's busy. There were bars with an angel woman and devil man as the logo and they were pretty cheap drinks ( I can't remember what the name was though sorry!). Don't get the "Shrek" though, although it was cheap it tasted like wine someone else had drunk!

Before we knew what the "Shrek" tasted like!
Ruin Bars



There are loads of ruin bars, the oldest and most famous is probably Szimpla (cheeky bonus that it also becomes a farmers market on Sundays).
In each room there's something different going on and in one room they were playing some acid jazz (which Frankie recently got me in to!) they also had some pretty strong Pina Coladas going on... hard to refuse!



Sparty



My favourite night out we had was definitely the Sparty. Every Saturday Lukacs spa (in the winter) opens up in the evening for basically a club night. Originally I was really worried about swimming costumes ( I went with the plain black one in the end) but quickly realised everyone else was in the same boat, just put a bit more makeup on than usual and was all good! 

You can pay for tickets in advance, but as you could only do this in Euros we waited until we got there and paid on the door with no problem! Everyone is in such a good mood and there to just have a laugh, but beware of boys acting like.. well boys and splashing you! We ended up making friends with a couple of lovely girls who we spent other nights with whilst we were there! The cheapest drink is boomba and vodka, which is basically vodka redbull but tastes nicer! 

You don't even need to worry about where to put your money as you preload it onto a card that you keep around your neck (you can collect any money left over at the end) such a simple but good idea!



Food Things



We quickly realised all the food is either sour cream, paprika, meats, cheese or bread. This meal had all of that and more. Corvin Square had this super cute cafe and the man there was so sweet. I had the hungarian platter, Frankie had paprika chicken of some kind and to drink I had an amazing bounty latte (coconut, chocolate and coffee... yummmm)

It was Shrove Tuesday so like proper brits we went to the market and got pancakes. We shared a rum flavoured one because they were massive!! Drooling thinking about it again!

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you the Lagos. A savoury doughnut with sour cream and cheese on the top. Make sure you get them fresh and they're perfect, great to tuck into when hungover! (we ended up getting two in the park behind Heros' Square)




For our last night we decided to treat ourselves like queens and when for a deliciously posh meal at Cafe Bouchon all the staff were really friendly, we has some homemade bread to start.
 For main we had duck with an orange and coffee sauce with croquettes. It was b.e.a.utiful! Everything cooked to perfection! I can't remember the name of the dessert now, but we were told it was a traditional one with lots of cream, and chocolate mousse and sponge and orange peel and mmmmmmm

Edit: I realise I've made a mistake, the dessert to the left is actually an ameretto brownie from 
Púder Pub in raday-utca the Gastro Street

We had some spare money left over at the end so bought a few cocktails at the airport... cheeky.

Thermal Bath Things 



We spoilt ourselves, and went to three thermal baths. But my favourite by far was Szechenyi, It's a bit out of the way (by Heroes' Square) but it was the prettiest and biggest.
Plus it had more than one fountain so not all the water has been filtered through some super hairy man
....shudder.

We also went to Lukacs (for the Sparty) and Gellért hotel but as I said Szechenyi was miles better in my opinion.

Things









Panned too fast, I like the effect though
I'm already thinking about my next city break, 
where have you lovely lot been?
♥♥♥♥♥

Today, I can't stop thinking about:

The time that Frankie pranked herself by putting salt instead of sugar in her own tea!

Share this:

, , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fab time! That Sparty sounds amazing!! You'll have to tell me all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was so good! I bet you and Andrew would love a holiday there, it's perfect for couples!!! It was the best night out for sure! Hahah yeah, we still need a catch up some time! :)

      Delete