Giraffe Cooks: Paleo Bread - Ugg Foods Review

For a while now I've been saying I'm going to try to eat Paleo, but the one thing that normally trips me up is sandwiches, mainly because they're the easiest lunch and you can put literally anything in them.

So when I stumbled across the Ugg Food range in Whole Foods the other day I thought I'd give it a try. Ugg foods products are basically Betty Crocker for Paleo diets, the mix is all there, you just need to add a few things. I thought I'd try the Chia seed and nut bread, at first I wasn't sure because it is a little expensive at £6.95, but in the past I've tried to make bread before (a complete disaster) and it would save me buying bags of each of the ingredients so I thought it was well worth the try. On with the baking!

           

Amazingly enough this is literally all the ingredients you need, the packet of Chia Seed & Nut Bread, vinegar (any kind - I only had cider vinegar or malt so I chose cider) and eggs (the recipe states 6 medium but we use large so I only put in 5), some water and then a mixer to whizz it all together. You could do it by hand, but this was my grandma's Magimix from the year dot, and It's like a good luck charm for me.




 
Preheat the oven to 160C, beat all the wet ingredients together then plonk the dry stuff in and mix it until the consistency doesn't look like it will change any more.  


This is quite a wet mixture, so once it's all mixed put it into a loaf tin using a spatula, I use silicone because it's easier to wash up and everything slides out.


 
As you can see it doesn't rise much or brown but you can test if it's done the same way you would with a cake, slide a knife into the side if it comes out clean then it's done. Once it's done leave in the tin on a rack until its cooled.

 
 If you're looking for something that tastes like bread, then this is not it. However if you want an alternative, something that you can use in the exact same way as you do bread, then this is just perfect! Cut into proper slices (not like me) you could put any filling into it and use it the same as you would ordinary bread, and it lasts for ages. I will definitely try this again some time.


____________


Recipe 
(adapted from Ugg Food's website)

50g serving (medium slice) contains: 145 kCal, 0.7g Sugar, 9.5g Fat, 1.3g Sat Fat, 0.3g Salt 

What you need:
"Chia Seed & Nut bread" Packet
5 Large Eggs
4.5 Tablespoon water
3 Tablespoon of Cider vinegar (but white or red wine vinegar would be better) 

How to make:
Preheat fan assisted oven to 160°C/320°F.
Non fan assisted oven to 180°C/350°C or
gas oven to Gas Mk 4.

Beat together eggs, vinegar and water then add packet of dry UGG Chia Seed
& Nut Bread mix.

Stir vigorously together. Mix will thicken
and become sticky. Pour into olive oil greased
silicone or non-stick 2lb/1 Kilo loaf tin
(10 x 20cm approx).

Bake for 50 minutes. Leave to cool.
The recipe also says you can swap the water for olive oil, I might give that a go next time, or try one of the others in the range. 
____________
Do any of you have any easy to make Paleo friendly recipes? I'd love to hear them!
Happy Baking  :)



Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment