A much needed Pick Me Up!

ALL OF THE PRETTY THINGS


Had a quiet morning at work so I popped along to Pick Me Up Graphic Arts Festival.
Everyone seems to have forgotten there's a Bank Holiday weekend coming up (including me) and this seems like the perfect outing, especially if it decides to rain!


Here's a few things that caught my eye:
(All of this and more for just a tenner!)

 
Corin Kennington


This was one of the first things you see as you turn the corner. Besides the beautifully shiny B, I was drawn to his work right away. I love the balance he achieves in his typography with a mixture of old school and moderness.


When it comes to art, I'm not normally in to Surrealism. Like, don't take me to Tate Modern, unless you like listening to the ramblings of a very angry lady. But there was something about George's work that I really enjoyed, maybe it was the kind of rebeliousness nature of some of it, especially the smiley faces over the photos – you just can't look at them and be angry!



These super cute floam sculptures really tickled me, they look so cheeky!



Alice's prints reminded me just how the simplest things can be so lovely. I'm naturally drawn to colour, but there's something so bold and brave about being sassy and stripping it all back. The lady with the telephone wires is my fave!

In the middle they had a glass case filled with some sketch books, I love seeing the other stuff, the rough unfinished doodles. There's something fun about seeing how an artist's mind works, and the stuff that didn't quite make it.



I always love reading what artist's name their work for times like this!




This stuff was all so fun, I find it amazing that Jack only ended up using 3D animation software because of an injury! Just goes to show you gotta make the most of whatever life flings at you. Before this I'd never really paid any attention to frames on work, but because they were so bright it really helped to add extra fun into the work. In fact, the whole installation felt really fun, Jack claims that it's an "anatomically correct look inside the human body", not sure I completely agree with him on that one...



This may have been my favourite stuff in the whole building! Full of patterns, amazing colour schemes and just made my eyes smile so much.



I've been following Claire for ages and am always liking her stuff on Instagram, so I was so surprised when I saw her prints on the wall. Her colours are always strong and the ideas are always cute, especially the emotion balloon prints she has floating around.


I almost bought this cutest book, it's basically all the observations on the artist's holidays. It made me want to go travelling (in the strangest way), and sort of inspired me to keep looking for stuff.


One of the things I really enjoyed about the whole exhibition is all the small rooms there are to discover. Tucked right away in the corner was the Clay Collective, loads of different ceramics by different people, everything from an elephant foot vase to a gold bowl!





We were also lucky enough to take part of a sign writing workshop with Mike Meyers and Better Letters. We were also there for a viewing of his new documentary. It was such a pleasure to meet this lovely man, he's quite inspiration and makes it loads of fun! The workshop only went on for about 30 mins, and it flew. I was absolutely rubbish but Mike was super helpful and made sure he got round everyone, which I thought was really sweet of him - he also hand painted everyone's name for them (that's not my effort!)


There was so much more that I didn't get pictures of including a massive Alan Kitching exhibit downstairs. It was amazing seeing all the stuff from my Instagram feed come to life, there's certain detail you don't get to see from a screen. After a few weeks of feeling down, this was just the "Pick Me Up' I needed (groan!)

♥♥♥♥♥

Today, I can't stop thinking about:

How much this apparently looks like me!


Follow

Share this:

, , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment